Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act, Defense Base Act and War Hazards Compensation Act
Mouledoux, Bland, Legrand & Brackett (MBLB) is one of a handful of law firms in the nation known for our experience and expertise in litigating claims arising under the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act (LHWCA), Defense Base Act (DBA) and War Hazards Compensation Act (WHCA).
Since 1927, the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act has been the federal workers’ compensation scheme available to employees injured while performing traditional maritime activity including loading/unloading vessels, vessel repair and maintenance, and other maritime operations integral to these activities on the navigable waters of the United States, or in other adjoining areas.
Claims arising under the Defense Base Act and War Hazards Compensation Act have been of growing importance as a result of the war on terror and other U.S. military and public works operations overseas. The handling of Defense Base Act claims has been a natural fit for our firm, given our experience and specific expertise with longshore claims, as the Defense Base Act incorporates the Longshore Act’s remedies. MBLB handles Defense Base Act claims nationwide and handles reimbursement of War Hazards Compensation Act claims with the Division of Federal Employees’ Compensation.
LHWHA, DBA and WHCA Clients
- ACE American Insurance Company
- American Longshore Mutual Association, Ltd.
- American River Transportation Company
- Archer Daniels Midland Company
- Broadspire Global TPA
- Gallagher Bassett
- Sedgwick Claims Management Services, Inc.
- Starr Indemnity and Liability Company
- The American Equity Underwriters
- Zurich North American Insurance Company
Our Approach to Claims
We know the claims process can be voluminous, tedious, and exhausting. We actively seek to resolve matters as efficiently and expeditiously as possible. Our team has years of experience handling the most complex and challenging claims. Outside of claim defense, we regularly speak at industry conferences and offer private seminars or continuing education for adjusters. The claims team is at its best when clients’ specific expectations are understood, acknowledged, and implemented. We pride ourselves on understanding the details of each client’s specific needs and plans of action and vigorously defend claims based upon that knowledge.
Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act, Defense Base Act and War Hazards Compensation Act Team
Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act, Defense Base Act and War Hazards Compensation Act News
- Decisions in 2021 Offer Insight Into Courts’ Treatment of Longshore Claims Under § 905(b),
- A Cautionary Tale to Attorneys Prosecuting Cases Under the Defense Base Act,
- Wrap-up: ABA TIPS Workers’ Compensation and Employers’ Liability Mid-Winter Conference,
- Annual Adjustment to Longshore Penalties Announced by U.S. Department of Labor,
- Fifth Circuit’s Ruling Clarifies Rules for Fee Shifting Provisions of LHWCA,
- Employer Obligations in Administering COVID-19 Vaccine Mandates,
- 11th Circuit Rules Recreational Vessel Exclusion of Longshore Act Is Inapplicable Where State Compensation Law Doesn’t Apply,
- Maritime Personal Injury Case Addresses Longshoreman’s Remedy Against Vessel Owner,
- Longshore and Harbor Workers’ COVID-19 Compensation Act of 2021,
- OALJ Issues Administrative Notice Involving Foreign Parties, Witnesses and Evidence,