Admiralty & Maritime Law
Mouledoux, Bland, Legrand & Brackett’s (MBLB) admiralty and maritime law team has a depth of experience and expertise that rivals larger admiralty and maritime law firms. Our attorneys have been recognized by their peers as among the top in maritime law and are deeply involved in industry organizations, including the Maritime Law Association of the United States, Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute and the Offshore Marine Service Association.
Our Admiralty and Maritime Law practice includes all aspects of brown water and offshore marine and energy operations. MBLB handles property damage and personal injury defense claims, cargo claims and subrogation, salvage, vessel seizures and enforcement of maritime liens, and other energy and offshore-related defense litigation. We also assist in the negotiation of contracts and other corporate transactions. We handle all types of marine contracts, including charter parties, bills of sale, and vessel documentation. We also have expertise in the areas of marine insurance, vessel construction and financing, sales, chartering, crewing, management, service, fleeting, brokerage, salvage/heavy lift and affreightment agreements.
MBLB routinely defends serious personal injury and death claims arising under the Jones Act, the General Maritime Law, Section 905(b) of the Longshore and Harbor Worker’s Compensation Act, the Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act, and the Death on the High Seas Act. We have also handled collision cases, property damage cases, pipeline damage cases, fleet break-aways, master service agreements and marine insurance issues. We handle a variety of contracts daily often under exigent circumstances. We you need us, we are ready.
Admiralty & Maritime Law Clients
Our clients range from international Fortune 500 companies to national insurers to local businesses. We represent barge owners and operators, towboat companies, line haul operators, cargo interests, stevedores, fleets and terminals as well as marine underwriters. Our offshore clients include natural resource exploration companies, vessel operators, divers, construction companies, salvage companies, dredge operators and the nation’s only deepwater oil port. A short list includes the following:
- Archer Daniels Midland Company
- B & J Martin, Inc.
- Bollinger Shipyards, Inc.
- Canal Barge Company, Inc.
- Cooper/T Smith Stevedoring Company, Inc.
- Consolidated Grain & Barge, Inc.
- Ingram Barge Company
- M/G Transport Services, Inc.
- McKinney Salvage & Heavy Lift, Inc.
- Pine Bluff Sand & Gravel Company
- SeaTran Marine, LLC
- Starr Indemnity Company
Your Business is Important to Us
We realize the maritime industry is a 24/7/365 operation. Assistance can be needed at any time. Time is often of the essence when dealing with a casualty or the review or negotiation of a wide variety of contracts.
Whether you are an international corporation or a one-boat company, we make it a point to understand your business and business risk. We visit you to better understand what you do. We delve into your business model, so we know what would make sense when it comes time to resolve a claim. We also keep you informed about legal issues that affect your business through our web news as well as customized on-site seminars presented by our attorneys.
Admiralty & Maritime Law Team
Admiralty & Maritime Law News
- Wilton Bland III to Present at Maritime Risk Claims Solutions Seminar,
- Longshore Workers’ Untimely Lawsuits Against Vessel Owner Dismissed,
- MBLB Wins Summary Dismissal of Negligence and Unseaworthiness Claims,
- Supreme Court Bars Punitive Damages for Unseaworthiness,
- Recent Opinion from Eastern District of Virginia Clarifies “Notice of a Claim”,
- Watch Out When Ending Maintenance and Cure,
- Louisiana Third Circuit Changes Course on Vessel Status of Riverboat Casinos,
- U.S. Court has Personal Jurisdiction Over Foreign Ship Management Company,
- U.S. Supreme Court: Punitive Damages Not Available to Plaintiff in Unseaworthiness Claim,
- Recent Opinion from Eastern District of Louisiana Addresses Litigation Funding Companies,