Member Simone Yoder will be joining on a panel on the “Interplay of Admiralty and State Workers’ Compensation Issues” at the American Bar Association (ABA) Tort Trial Insurance Practice Section (TIPS) Workers’ Compensation and Employers’ Liability Mid-Winter Conference. The conference will be held in New Orleans, Louisiana, on March 4-5 at The Westin Canal Place.
Simone, along with three other panelists, will discuss the interplay with the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act (LHWCA), Jones Act, and various State workers’ compensation statutes concerning compensable work injuries. The panel will:
- Explain coverage and jurisdiction for land-based maritime workers and benefits available under The Longshore Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act.
- Review who qualifies as Jones Act seamen and maritime employers, the type of compensation an injured maritime worker can receive, and some key considerations with workplace injuries in the maritime industry.
- Review various State workers’ compensation statutes for potential coverage, jurisdiction, and choice of remedy issues.
- Explore tactics for litigation, valuation, mediation, and resolution of these various types of work- injury claims.
- Address several ethical issues that commonly arise when handling LHWCA, Jones Act, and State workers’ compensation claims.
ABA TIPS Workers’ Compensation and Employers’ Liability Mid-Winter Conference
Workers’ compensation professionals from around the country will gather at the ABA TIPS Workers’ Compensation and Employers’ Liability Mid-Winter Conference to share ideas, tips and techniques to improve the workers’ compensation systems around the country and work toward better outcomes overall. This year, panels will speak to a wide of topics as varied as sexual harassment as a work-related injury, the “gig” economy, ethics in legal advertising and practice, and the 50th anniversary of the National Commission on Workers’ Compensation. Panels are comprised of bright and talented practitioners and judges from around the country, each contributing their lessons and experience on the selected topic.
Learn more about ABA TIPS Workers’ Compensation and Employers’ Liability Mid-Winter Conference >