Joseph S. Trytten, Associate
Associate Joseph Trytten works in Mouledoux, Bland, Legrand & Brackett’s general casualty group, and practices in the areas of insurance defense and maritime litigation.
Joe established himself as a leader while at Tulane University Law School. He was inducted into the Order of the Barristers for his contributions as a Moot Court competitor and coach, and for his service as an elected administrative justice for the Moot Court program at Tulane. As the President and Site Coordinator for the law school’s implementation of the Internal Revenue Service’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, he martialed a team of volunteers to provide pro bono tax preparation services in the New Orleans community.
“My leadership experiences have taught me the importance of keeping the big picture in mind. No matter what you’re doing, it can be really easy to get lost in the minutiae and lose sight of the real issues at hand. As an attorney, this means that everything I do is narrowly tailored towards my client’s end goal—and that I never doing anything without first stopping to ask whether and how it will help my client.”
Joe was successful both inside and outside the classroom at Tulane University Law School. He graduated cum laude in the top quarter of his class in 2019, and was a research assistant to Prof. Sally Brown Richardson, bolstering her work on Louisiana community property law. He also served as a competitor and a coach of the Moot Court’s appellate competition team, specializing in international criminal law. He won First Place at the Intraschool Junior Appellate competition, and was a Finalist in the Intraschool Senior Appellate Competition. As a Finalist, he had the privilege to argue an appellate case in front of a panel federal justices.
Joe had the distinction of clerking for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration’s Kennedy Space Center Office of the Chief Counsel while he was in law school.
When he is not working, Joe enjoys playing the flute and saxophone, cooking, and building computers.
- Federal Bar Association, New Orleans Chapter, Member
- Louisiana Bar Association, Member
- New Orleans Bar Association, Member
- Cum Laude, Tulane University Law School
- Order of the Barristers
- Finalist, Tulane Law School Moot Court Senior Intraschool Appellate Competition
- Finalist, Tulane Law School Moot Court Junior Intraschool Appellate Competition
Civic and Community
- Animal Foster, Animal Rescue New Orleans
- Former President and Site Coordinator, Tulane University Law School’s Internal Revenue Service’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program (provided pro bono tax preparation services in the New Orleans community)
- Clerk, National Aeronautics and Space Administration’s Kennedy Space Center Office of the Chief Counsel
- Research Assistant, Prof. Sally Brown Richardson, Louisiana community property law
Articles by Joseph S. Trytten
- 5th Circuit Sets High Bar for Prisoners’ Challenges to Qualified Immunity -
- Lights, Camera, Judgment: Mark Hanna Scores Win for Local Film Studio -