JoAnn T. Hymel, Associate
Associate JoAnn T. Hymel’s areas of practice include the defense of employers and insurance carriers for claims arising under the Louisiana Workers’ Compensation Act, Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act, Defense Base Act, and War Hazards Compensation Act.
Earning a Bachelor of Arts in Mass Communications from Louisiana State University is an asset to JoAnn’s clients. “I understand the importance of research and communication. Whether it’s an internal report or a pleading to the court, I strive to make sure the client’s position is thoroughly researched and well-articulated. Maintaining clear communication throughout the claim is key.”
While at Paul M. Hebert Law Center at Louisiana State University, JoAnn served as a Junior Associate and then Senior Notes and Comments Editor for the Journal of Energy Law & Resources. She received CALI awards for the highest grade in Legal Research & Writing I and II. JoAnn was also a founding member of LSU Law’s running club.
JoAnn is a native of New Orleans. Outside of the office, she enjoys live music, running, and traveling as well as being a member of the Mardi Gras krewe, Iris.
- Louisiana State Bar Association, Member
- Louisiana Super Lawyers Rising Stars – Workers Compensation (2022)
- New Orleans CityBusiness – Ones to Watch: Law (2022)
- CALI awards for highest grade in Legal Research & Writing I and II
- Co-author, “Combating Medical Fraud in Workers’ Compensation Claims,” Reuters Legal News, July 6, 2022
- Senior Notes and Comments Editor, Junior Associate, LSU Journal of Energy Law & Resources
Articles by JoAnn T. Hymel
- Ninth Circuit Declines to Hold Employers and Carriers Responsible for Incidental Financial Consequences Caused by Delayed Compensation Under DBA -
- United States 5th Circuit Rejects Employee’s Request for Additional LHWCA Benefits -
- Longshore Workers’ Untimely Lawsuits Against Vessel Owner Dismissed -