J. Edward McAuliffe, III, Associate
Associate Edward McAuliffe’s practice areas focus on trucking and transportation and insurance defense. Prior to joining MBLB, Edward was an Assistant District Attorney in New Orleans, where he rose quickly through the ranks, eventually heading up the District Attorney’s Bond and Asset Forfeiture Division. He represented his office at the Louisiana District Attorney’s Association, aided in overseeing civil litigation, and implemented new policies and procedures both in his office and throughout the New Orleans criminal justice system.
While Edward is known for working with his opponents to reach amicable resolutions whenever possible, he will draw a hard line in the sand when his clients’ interests require it. “Being tough and being professional are not mutually exclusive. I ‘grew up’ as a lawyer in the school of hard knocks at Tulane and Broad. The courtroom, trial, administrative, and legislative experiences I gained as an ADA are invaluable. The same tenacity I brought to the criminal arena I maintain in defense of my civil clients.”
As an Assistant District Attorney, Edward became one of Louisiana’s experts in the field of forfeitures and was appointed to the Louisiana Sentencing Commission’s front end work group on bail. Edward was intensively involved in writing the bail overhaul passed by the Louisiana Legislature in 2016, working with the Louisiana Law Institute, the State Legislature, and the bail surety industry to craft the comprehensive reform.
Edward is a native New Orleanian. He resides in New Orleans with his wife and children.
• Louisiana State Bar Association
• LSU Law Moot Court Board Member, Tullis Moot Court Competition (placed)
• Executive Vice-president, The Federalist Society, Louisiana State Chapter (2010-2011)
Panels and Presentations
• Presenter, “Bond College: Act 613 and the Rewriting of Bail in Louisiana” (2017)
• Presenter, “A Civil Judgment in a Criminal World: The Civil—and Not So Civil—Side of Bail Bonds,” LDAA Bond and Asset Forfeiture Seminar (2017)
• Presenter/Panelist, “Defending Bond Forfeiture Judgments,” LDAA Bond and Asset Forfeiture Seminar” (2017)
• Presenter/Panelist, “Judgment Collection Techniques: Commercial Surety Bonds,” LDAA Bond and Asset Forfeiture Seminar (2016)
• Presenter, “Rights of Crime Victims and Witnesses,” LDAA New Prosecutor Training Courses (2015-2017)
• Presenter, “Protecting Prosecution, Avoiding Prescription,” LDAA Fall Seminar (2015)
• Presenter, “Protecting Prosecution, Avoiding Prescription: Part II, Appearance and Quashal” (2015)
• Presenter, “Protecting Prosecution, Avoiding Prescription: Part I, Offense, Arrest, and Prosecution” (2014)
• Presenter, “Case Law Update: Asset Forfeiture,” LDAA Bond and Asset Forfeiture Seminar (2013)
• Advised Louisiana Law Institute Committee on Bail Reform (2014-2016)
• Appointed to Louisiana Sentencing Commission’s Front End Work Group on Bail Reform (2013-2014)