Derek W. O’Connor, Associate
Associate Derek W. O’Connor’s areas of practice include the defense of employers and insurance carriers for claims arising under the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act, Defense Base Act, and War Hazards Compensation Act. With an undergraduate degree in business and economics, Derek understands the importance of developing cost-effective solutions for his clients’ issues. “The key to productive relationships with clients is to truly understand the industries in which they operate. I enjoy working hand in hand with my clients to ensure that our work is tailored to their specific needs.”
While studying at Tulane University Law School, Derek took advantage of every opportunity to gain litigation experience. He competed in Vienna, Brussels, Paris, and across the United States as a member and coach of the Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration and Tulane Moot Court Interschool Mock Trial teams. The Vis Moot is the largest moot court competition in the world, providing teams with the opportunity to study areas of international commercial and arbitration laws.
Derek also has the distinction of having worked as a judicial extern for The Honorable Carl J. Barbier of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana during his final year of law school.
Outside of the office, Derek enjoys kayaking, jazz, biking, and attempting to eat at every new restaurant in New Orleans.
- Louisiana State Bar Association, Member
- New Orleans Bar Association, Member
- American Association for Justice, Member
- Tulane VIS Intraschool Moot Court Competition – 1st Place
- Tulane Mock Trial Intraschool Moot Court Competition – 2nd Place
- The Order of Barristers, Member
- CALI Excellence for the Future Award for Trial Advocacy, Civil Litigation Strategy & Practice, and Toxic Tort Theory & Practice
- Judicial Extern, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Louisiana, Hon. Judge Carl J. Barbier (August 2016–May 2017)