Beth S. Bernstein, Member
Member Beth Bernstein’s practice focuses on the defense of employers and insurance carriers under the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act, Defense Base Act, War Hazards Compensation Act, and Louisiana Workers’ Compensation Act. She represents national insurance companies, the Army and Air Force Exchange Service, and local marine brokers. As supported by the peer honors she has received, including Super Lawyers Rising Star and New Orleans Magazine Top Lawyers, Beth has developed a reputation as one of the top attorneys in workers’ compensation law.
Beth is known for being creative and detail oriented in handling her clients’ claims, and prides herself in reaching resolutions that are both strategic and cost effective. She embraces frequent and consistent communication with her clients and focuses on being attuned to her clients’ needs. Her dedication to practicing in a manner that is both aggressive and professional allows her to achieve the best results for her clients.
Following graduation from Tulane Law School, Beth clerked for the Honorable Patrick M. Rosenow of the United States Department of Labor’s Office of Administrative Law Judges. Here, she handled claims involving the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act, Defense Base Act, Surface Transportation Assistance Act, Sarbanes-Oxley Act, and Aviation Investment and Reform Act, as well as cases involving the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs. This experience has given her in-depth knowledge of how the administrative courts function—the life of the claim, how judges tend to rule and the types of evidence given greatest weight—which is an advantage for her clients.
In her spare time, Beth enjoys reading and going to the beach with her husband and her dog, Ringeaux.
- American Bar Association, Member
- DOL-Joint Bar Association, Member
- Federal Bar Association, Member
- Louisiana Bar Association, Member
- New Orleans Bar Association, Member
- Women’s International Shipping and Trade Association, Member
- New Orleans Association of Defense Counsel, Member
- Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel, Member
- Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute, Member
- Super Lawyers Rising Star – Workers’ Compensation (2014-2018)
- New Orleans Magazine Top Lawyers – Workers’ Compensation Law (2015, 2016, 2017)
Panels and Presentations
- Moderator, “Managing Pain and the Opioid Crisis in America,” Loyola University College of Law, Annual Longshore Conference (2017)
- Presenter, “Case Law Updates,” 72nd Annual Workers’ Compensation Educational Conference, LHWCA, Jones Act & DBA Break Out Session (2017)
- Presenter, “Using Depositions, Experts and Evidence as Negotiating Tools” and “Top 10 Mistakes Even Experienced Negotiators Make,” National Business Institute, Negotiation Strategies for Litigators (2017)
- Presenter, Advanced Workers’ Compensation Seminar, Sterling Education Services (December 2016)
- Presenter, Dallas Defense Base Act and Longshore Seminar, Advanced Consulting, Inc. (January 2016)
- Presenter, Your Top Workers’ Compensation Questions – Answered Seminar, National Business Institute (2013)
Civic and Community
- LA/SPCA, Volunteer
- Clerk, Honorable Patrick M. Rosenow, United States Department of Labor, Office of Administrative Law Judges (2008)
- Intern, Honorable Fredericka Homberg Wicker and Honorable Ivan L.R. Lemelle (2007)
Articles by Beth S. Bernstein
- Louisiana GAME ON Task Force Working to End Misclassification of Workers -
- Felony Charges for Workers’ Compensation Fraud in Texas -
- Recent Studies Show Surge in Black Lung Disease -
- Bureau of Labor Statistics Reports on Median Earnings -
- Insufficient Safety Culture Caused Injury at Baton Rouge Refinery -