André J. Mouledoux, Member
A firm founder, Member André Mouledoux is a seasoned litigator who brings his clients more than 40 years of battle-hardened experience. André’s practice focuses on maritime, insurance and transportation defense. He is also a skilled commercial and corporate counsel. He has successfully litigated serious commercial disputes and catastrophic tort cases from California to Rhode Island, the U.K. to Egypt. He has tried and won defense verdicts in a number of wrongful death, spinal injury and brain damage cases in state and federal courts. He will aggressively try those cases that need to be tried and negotiate favorable settlements in those that shouldn’t be.
As supported by the peer honors he has received, including Super Lawyers and New Orleans Magazine Top Lawyers, André has developed a reputation as one of the top attorneys in admiralty and maritime law and transportation.
You might hear André start a conversation with, “A man carrying a chihuahua walks into a bar…” Yes, he is known for his sense of humor, but don’t let it fool you. He is dead serious when it comes to the needs of his clients and his record proves it. He knows that a client’s legal problems are no laughing matter.
“I have a personal connection with my clients. I am empathetic to their issues. They appreciate my loyalty and the ability to communicate and devise a strategy that they can support in a fair and honest manner to minimize costs and maximize benefits.”
André is “old school.” He believes the practice of law is still a noble profession; that every client deserves ethical representation by a competent attorney who provides wise counsel and advocates its interests to the best of his ability.
André understands that each client is uniquely situated and that each matter demands a tailored approach that is sensitive to the client’s needs, expectations and budget. That’s why André offers a confident, calming and cost effective solution for each anxious client’s concerns.
André is good at what he does. A radio announcer at New Orleans’ dominant radio station WWL before he became an attorney, André had top ratings for his time slot – thanks in part to an endless supply of really bad jokes!
André loves who he works with. He’s surrounded by a team of committed attorneys, administrators and staff members who strive collectively and individually to meet the highest standards of the profession and more importantly exceed the expectations of each and every client.
André cares. His values are founded on his family and his faith. He loves to spend time with his wife Eleanor and their grandchildren and devotes much energy to his inner-city church parish. André is active in many professional and charitable organizations. He has lectured law students. He loves to speak at seminars to discuss the law and his experiences and maybe to tell a few jokes.
Clients with serious problems call André. They know that they… and not their opponents… will have the last laugh!!
By the way, if you want the punch line for the chihuahua story, give André a call.
- Loyola University President’s Council (1997–1999)
- Louisiana State Bar Association, Member, House of Delegates (2001-2018)
- New Orleans Board of Trade, Member
- New Orleans Bar Association, Member
- Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel, Member
- Defense Research Institute, Member
- Maritime Law Association of the United States, Member
- Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute, Member
- The Best Lawyers in America: Admiralty & Maritime Law (2021)
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent
- Super Lawyers – Transportation/Maritime (2011-2021)
- Top 50: New Orleans Super Lawyers (2016, 2019, 2020)
- New Orleans Magazine Top Lawyers – Admiralty & Maritime Law, Transportation Law (2015-2020)
- Claims and Litigation Management (CLM) Alliance, Member
Panels and Presentations
- Presenter, “Establishing Effective Procedures for Alternative Dispute Resolution Relative to Marine Insurance Policies,” 7th Annual Forum on Admiralty and Litigation Claims, Houston, TX (2019)
- Presenter, “Investigation of a Marine Casualty,” 11th Judge Alvin B. Rubin B. Conference on Maritime Personal Injuries, LSU Law Center (2013)
- Presenter, “Maintenance & Cure,” Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis, Maritime Law Seminar (2008)
- Presenter, “Insurers’ Reservations of Rights: Do’s and Don’t’s,” Louisiana Claims Association Annual Meeting, Biloxi, MS (2003)
- Presenter, “Preparing the Risk Manager for Deposition,” RIMS South Louisiana Chapter (Fall 2002)
- Presenter, “OSHA/U.S. Coast Guard Authority Over Uninspected Vessels,” National Association of Marine Surveyors Annual Meeting, San Francisco, CA (2002)
- Presenter, “No Pay, No Play: Louisiana Limits Recovery for Uninsured Motorists,” Louisiana Claims Association Annual Meeting, Biloxi, MS (2001)
- Presenter, “Effective Use of Vocational Experts,” Annual Longshore Conference, Loyola Law School (2001)
- Presenter, “Prepare for the Armed Invasion”-EPA Enforcement of Criminal Laws, Greater New Orleans Barge Fleeting Assn. (2000)
- Presenter, Loyola Student Trial Advocacy, NITA/Loyola (1995)
- Presenter, “The Hull Policy,” Greater New Orleans Barge Fleeting Assoc. River & Marine Ind. Seminar (1995)
- Presenter, “Injuries On Wharves, Docks, Extensions of Lands-Obligations, Rights & Recourse,” Risk and Insurance Management Society, Inc., National RIMS Conference (1991)
- Contributing Columnist, “Legal Talk,” Workboat Magazine (1996- 2005)
- Fifth Circuit Symposium – Admiralty, 33 Loy. L. Rev. 535 (1987)
- Role of Privity and Knowledge in Limitation Act, 23 Loy. L. Rev. 480 (1977)
- Alimony Pendente Lite: One Way Street, 22 Loy. L. Rev. 1086 (1976)
Representative Reported Cases
- Nieves v. Cooper Marine & Timberlands Corp., 2017 WL 3261596 (E.D.Ark. 2017)
- Tajonera v Black Elk Energy, 2014 WL 1600404 (E.D. La. 2014)
- Johnson v BP Products North America, Inc.,2014-0541 (La. App 4th Cir. 2014)
- Board of Commissioners Port Of New Orleans v N.O. Terminal, 2013 WL5934609 (E.D. La. 2013)
- Baird v. Pine Bluff Sand & Gravel Company, 2012 WL 3779116 (W.D. Ky. 2012)
- Burnes v Trinity Management Group, Inc. 2012 WL 774951 (S.D.Miss. 2012)
- Allen v M/G Transport Services, LLC, 2010 W L3523056 (E.D. La. 2010)
- In re Katrina Dredging Limitation Actions Consol. Litigation, 2008 WL 3876461 (E.D. La. 2008)
- Youngblood v. Covenant Sec. Svc, LLC, 2008 WL 160708 (M.D. La. 2008)
- Brisset v. Ari Mut. Ins. Co., 2007 WL 2710820 (E.D. La. 2007)
- Hypolite v. Diamond Offshore Co., 2007 WL 2067052 (W.D. La. 2007)
- Louisiana Crawfish Producers Ass’n-West v. Amerada Hess Corp., 2005-1156 (La. App. 3 Cir. 2006), 935 So. 2d 380
- In re Carey Salt Co., 2006 WL 548600 (W.D. La. 2006)
- Saienni v. Capital Marine Supply, Inc., 2005 WL 940558 (E.D. La. 2005)
- Gordon v. American River Transportation Co., 3002 WL 22424928 (E.D. La. 2003)
- Marbulk Shipping, Inc. v. Martin-Marietta Materials, Inc., 271 F. Supp. 2d 1374 (S.D. Al. 2003)
- American River Trans. Co. v. Kavo Kaliakra SS, 148 F.3d 446 (5th Cir. 1998)
- U.S. Fidelity & Guar. Co. v. LOOP Inc., 961 F.2d 84 (5th Cir. 1992)
- Verdin v. C&B Boat Co., Inc., 860 F.2d 150 (5th Cir. 1988)
- Farmers Export Co. v. M/V Georgis Prois, 799 F.2d 159 (5th Cir. 1986)
- Ducre v. Mine Safety Appliances Co., 645 F.Supp. 708 (E.D .La. 1986)
- Causey v. K&B Equipment Co., Inc., 467 So. 2d 1266 (La. App. 4 Cir. 1985)
- Daniel Oil Co. v. Signal Rental Tools, 461 So. 2d 526 (La. App. 3 Cir. 1985)
- Wilson v. J. Ray McDermott & Co., 616 F. Supp. 1301 (E.D. La. 1985)
- Verrett v. McDonough Marine Service, 705 F. 2d 1437 (5th Cir. 1983)
- Tarlton v. Exxon, 688 F.2d 973 (5th Cir. 1982)
- Dove v. Belcher Oil Co., 686 F. 2d 329 (5th Cir. 1982)
Articles by André J. Mouledoux
- Attitude Adjustment: USDC Sanctions Defense Counsel To Mandatory CLE For Misconduct at Deposition of Co-Defendant’s CEO -
- 5th Circuit Rules That Offshore Floating Oil and Gas Platform Moored on the OCS Floor Is Not a Vessel and Not Subject to Maritime Lien -
- Clean Water Act: EPA Assesses Pollution Fines and Penalties Against South Louisiana Marine Transportation Company -
- BP Oil Spill: Louisiana Fourth Circuit rules that Oyster Damage Claims arising out of Louisiana Emergency Coastal Protection Response must be tried in Baton Rouge; Case transferred from Plaquemines Parish -
- Deepwater Horizon: Contractual Indemnity for Gross Negligence or Punitive Damages? -